Without further ado…
- 2 cups non-dairy milk of choice (I used soy)
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup sugar (depending on your taste)
- 1/3 cup semolina
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- marzipan, chopped up into bits (optional, for topping)
- cherries or cherry pie filling (optional)
- The first thing I did was de-pit some cherries and cook them down with a pinch of sugar until they softened up and resembled pie filling. You could also just buy cherry pie filling or use fresh cherries, up to you! Once cooked, I set them aside for later.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk and sugar and bring to a boil over medium heat. It boils over really easily, so keep and eye on it and remove it from the heat immediately after boil.
- Stir in the semolina and put back over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil again while stirring and add the almond extract. You want it to thicken, but still be pourable. This took only about 1-2 minutes for me.
- Once the desired consistency is reached (it will thicken a bit more once cooled so don't overdo it!), pour into serving bowls and add your toppings.
Pretty easy, if I do say so myself! You can also put a breakfast twist on this by decreasing the sugar and adding your favorite warm cereal toppings! Semolina is my new favorite thing to experiment with!