A friend of mine (hi Gulliver) mentioned that he found making seitan with soy flour instead of chickpea flour or beans yielded a better texture. That was all I needed before I set to the kitchen! I just ordered 5 kilos of vital wheat gluten from the online vegan store Vegan Wonderland so now I am set for all my seitan needs for at least a year! I tinkered around with the basic veggie sausage recipes out there based on what I had in my kitchen + soy flour. I must say these are the best veggie sausages I’ve ever made! I already ate half of them since yesterday! Without further ado, here is the recipe. Make sure you have aluminum foil before you start, as I often begin making them only to realize I don’t have anything to wrap them in!
Vegan Sausages With Soy Flour
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 cup soy flour
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- a few shakes/grinds of black pepper
- 1 tsp. chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3-4 tbsp. ketchup
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp smoked salt
- 1 tsp. mustard
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- Combine the vital wheat gluten to chili pepper flakes in a bowl and stir so everything is distributed evenly.
- In another bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients, water to cinnamon (okay, that one's not wet, whatever).
- Pour the wet into the dry and stir, then knead to combine until strands of gluten form and you have a dough. If it's too dry add a tiny bit more water.
- Cut into four pieces.
- Knead each piece a bit and form into a sausage shape.
- Cut four pieces of aluminum foil.
- Place each piece of seitan sausage in the center of a piece of foil longways. Bring both ends of foil up to meet in the middle and fold it over itself until it touches the sausage. It should be so that it can open itself up as needed when it expands while steaming later.
- Fill a sauce pan about 1/3 with water and place a steamer basket in it or, if you don't have a steamer basket (like me), just use a metal strainer on top.
- Put the tin-foil wrapped sausages in the steamer and cover. I usually do two on bottom with the other two criss-crossed on top.
- Steam on medium heat for 40 minutes. After 20 minutes flip the bottom and top sausages so they get evenly steamed.
- Remove from heat and let cool, then unwrap and store in a Tupperware container.
- Should be fine for a week or two in the fridge or you could cut them in pieces and freeze them for later!
|5 kilos of gluten flour! That’s 11 pounds! Only 13 EUR = bargain!|
Like this recipe and want to make more veggie meat? Try the Vegan Nom Noms How to Make Seitan App!