This recipe was hiding in my How to Use Dried TVP post, but it gets a bit lost in there so I thought it deserved it’s own post. I just made these mustard marinated TVP cutlets again and remembered how delicious they are, so here you go! The picture above is before it was grilled, but I already ate some of them uncooked, benefit of it not being real meat, amiright? Since the vegan grilling season is upon us, I though it appropriate! I added bread crumbs to the recipe to soak up and retain the sauce while the cutlets are being grilled, you can leave this out if you like, but it makes it feel a bit heartier.
First things first, if you don’t know what textured vegetable protein is or how to use it, have a look at my How to Use Dried Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP) post. The stuff is cheap and easy and quick to prepare when you’re in a pinch for something vegan and meaty. Definitely something worth adding to your vegan repertoire.
Mustard Marinated Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP) Cutlets
- 15-20 big TVP chunks (or cutlets)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup mustard
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3+ garlic cloves, minced or chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- a couple teaspoons mustard seeds (optional)
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs (optional)
- Soak the TVP chunks/cutlets in boiling water and then squeeze them to get as much of the water out as possible.
- Mix or blend all the marinade ingredients together.
- Throw all together in a Tupperware and shake to cover.
- Let marinate in the fridge for at least a few hours, overnight is even better.
- Grill, saute, eat in a sandwich, whatever...I started eating them raw by the end.
I was really skeptical of the amount of mustard, but I swear…it is magic.
Now go eat some TVP!
Edit June 30th 2013: These were a huge hit at my friend’s birthday BBQ. By the end there were no cutlets left!
Want more veggie meat? Try my How to Make Seitan: An Illustrated Guide post or the Vegan Nom Noms’ Cook App, How to Make Seitan Edition to get 10+ vegan meat recipes with illustrated guides on your smartphone!