The American road trip has begun! For the next three months until October 3rd, I’ll be driving across America and back, first through the north and back through the south. Thus, you’ll be seeing a lot of my travels and the vegan foods I’ve found during my trip here. If you want to follow all the quirks and eats of my travels in more detail, be sure to follow me on Instagram too!
Right now I’m staying in Brooklyn, NY, which is pretty much just as much as a vegan heaven as Berlin! So far I’ve had delicious vegan bagels with vegan cream cheese, went to the Dr. Cow vegan cheese shop in Williamsburg, oogled over everything at the Park Slope Food Co-Op and gorged myself on vegan mac-n-cheese, a Buffalo ranch vegan chicken salad and a delish brownie sundae at Champs. More info on all that in an upcoming post.
Right now though I have a recipe for you courtesy of Brian from Mission: Tomato, who writes very wittily about his attempt to farm in Brooklyn. Head over there now if you want a laugh and to lust over all his gorgeous vegetables.
He threw this recipe together with some fresh tomatoes from his garden plot and is letting me share it with you here. It was DELICIOUS. I am still dreaming about it. Super easy too!
One more picture to make you hungry, now go read Mission: Tomato!
- enough whole wheat pasta for two people
- 1-2 big fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 can black olives, drained and diced
- big handful of almonds, chopped in the food processor
- 1 Tbsp flaxseeds
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- splash of balsamic vinegar reduction (optional, but delicious)
- Add water to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil, adding the pasta and cook following the directions on the box
- While this is heating up, grind the almonds and flax seed until crumbly parmesan consistency (coarse meal)
- Once the pasta is done just to al dente, strain and set aside
- In the same saucepan, heat up some olive oil and start toasting the almond/flaxseed mixture
- While the almonds are toasting, chop the tomatoes and black olives
- Once the almonds are browned and fragrant, toss in the pasta, add the chopped tomatoes and olives and stir
- Add the basil, splash of balsamic vinegar reduction, salt and pepper to taste
- Let cook a few minutes, stirring until thoroughly heated throughout and serve into bowls