Vegan MoFo Day #1!
Summer is almost over, but let’s not speak about that. I thought I’d use the first day of MoFo to take advantage of the new September MoFo time….no Thanksgiving food here! It’s not cold and miserable yet and there is still stuff growing! On my balcony even! Here is my favorite super easy summer salad made from smoked tofu, fresh corn, spring onions, tomatoes and some vinaigrette. Recipe below!
This is the first time I’ve been able to have my own garden since mid-Summer seems to be my favorite moving time in years past. I’m growing three types of tomatoes, kale, garlic, peppers, strawberries, mint, coriander, beans, spring onions, jalapenos and Thai sweet chilies…all on my little balcony! Posts from my balcony garden’s infancy can be found here and here. There is no room for people anymore, you can clearly see my priorities.
Except for my disappointing amount of strawberries, it’s been a massive success. Look at my first tomato harvest a week ago! More are ripening every day, the big ones are just starting to darken.
Here are some flowers from my bean plant above the sketchy “parking lot” I live next to in Berlin-Neukölln. I’ve decided beans are all bark and no bite. Such a big plant, so few beans.
My bean plant (it’s way bigger now!) and some kale to the left. Oh and our funky chairs we got at a flea-market outside a hardware store down the road.
Okay, I’ll stop with the gardening porn, you want a recipe?
Fresh Smoked Tofu Urban Gardening Salad
- - 1/2 block smoked tofu
- - a large tomato or a couple handfuls cherry tomatoes
- - one ear of fresh corn
- - 3-4 spring onions
- - 1 tablespoon balsamic vinaigrette
- - 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- - salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the tofu and tomatoes into small cubes. If using cherry tomatoes, just cut them in half. Add to a bowl.
- Cut the corn kernals off of the cob and add to the bowl with the tomatoes.
- Chop the spring onions (I use a scissor weirdly enough, works well!) and add to the bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss with the olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette, toss, taste and adjust salt and pepper accordingly.
- So simple, so yummy!
Last close-up shot for good luck. It’s really simple, but the smoked tofu with the veggies, sweet crunchy corn and vinaigrette make an addictive combination. Also, look I’m posting fresh things during MoFo!