Anyway, I only fussed with the original recipe a bit, making it a whole wheat and white flour fix and sometimes adding a bit of vital wheat gluten to add to the texture, though this is optional and I’m still not sure if I can tell the difference as it is mostly my family who gobbles this up after I make it.
Delicious homemade sourdough bread that's naturally vegan.
- 3 1/2-4 cups good quality white flour (King Arthur works)
- 1 1/2-2 cups good quality whole wheat flour
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 cup sourdough starter (unproofed)
- 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- In a large bowl, combine the water, sourdough starter and 4 cups of flour (2 wheat, 2 white is what I usually do).
- Mix well and cover with plastic wrap in a warm place 8-12 hours (I do it over night).
- The next day stir in the salt and sugar, then add vital wheat gluten (if using) and flour 1/2 to 1 cup at a time to make a very stiff dough and knead until smooth.
- Cover and let rise 2 to 2-1/2 hours.
- After 2ish hours, punch down and divide in half.
- Knead till smooth and form into rounds.
- Place on a greased baking sheet (I put them on a baking sheet covered with finely ground corn meal and then transfer them to my baking stone for baking).
- Cover lightly (I use plastic wrap coated with a bit of olive oil so it won't stick) and let rise till double and puffy (1 to 1-2 hrs).
- While this is rising mix the 1/2 cup water and 1/2 tsp cornstarch in a small bowl and microwave till boiling, remove from heat and let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and carefully place a small pan of hot water on the bottom rack of the oven.
- When done rising, cut two slashes across each other on top of each loaf.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Pull out the rack and baste each loaf well with the cornstarch mixture, then close the oven and allow to bake another 20-25 minutes.
- Loaves should be a light golden color and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. Allow to cool for 2 hrs to develop the sourdough flavor fully if you can wait that long.