Vegan MoFo Day #17!
Last January, I worked on a smallholding in Kleinenhain, Germany for 2+ weeks through Help Exchange. Of the three farms I worked on, my time in Germany, by far, left the biggest impression on me. My hosts, Angelika and Axel, not only cooked vegan for me the entire time I was there, but also introduced me to so many new foods! This, by far, was my favorite…and so easy! I had these cooked over a wood burning hearth in a pub…can I say mouthgasm?
Not the prettiest picture (I accidentally cut part of my apple off before baking), but delicious nonetheless!
Bratapfel (Baked Apple)
- apples however many you'd like
- marzipan paste you can buy this in a can, log, or make it yourself**
- chocolate chips chunks, whatever
- walnuts almonds, whatever you have (I used pecans)
- vegan cream if desired
- Preheat an oven to 300F.
- Cut out the core of your apples so that they have no middle (like an apple tube!).
- Stuff about a tablespoon of marzipan dough into the bottom of the core to plug it up.
- Then layer your chocolate, and cover with another thin layer of marzipan.
- Sprinkle the nuts on top.
- Place in a pan (it will ooze, so foil or parchment paper recommended) and bake about 15-20 minutes on the bottom shelf (so the nuts don't burn), until the apples have softened, but not turned to mush. You want it to still have it's shape, so check on it!
- Serve in a bowl, with vegan cream poured on top. Don't worry, if you don't have the cream, it's still delicious!
Here’s how it looked before baking:
*To make marzipan I usually throw together almonds without peels (already sliced, even better!), powdered sugar and almond extract in a food professor to taste to make a dough. This may not be the proper way to do it, but it works!