Vegan MoFo Day #10! Halfway there!
This is a recipe I came across on The Hummus Blog and have been meaning to veganize and try forever! Thanks MoFo for the motivation! On one hand it sounds totally weird, chickpeas and yogurt, on the other the photo looked soooo good. The dish is a combination of soft cooked chickpeas, warm yogurt and crispy pita bread. Unfortunately my photos are not quite as good, as it seems I needed to clean my camera lens or something, but alas, I can give my two thumbs up for the taste! Besides the time needed to soak the chickpeas, this is really easy. I was lazy and used a toasted tortilla instead of pita because I already had some, but a pita would probably be better. In case you’re interested, the original recipe is here. I also found a different Moroccan variation I want to try here.
Fetteh: Yogurt & Chickpea Dish (Veganized)
- 1/2 cup small dried chickpeas
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- pita bread
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 cups of vegan yogurt
- 1/4 cup pine nuts or 1/2 cup cashews
- olive oil salt, cumin, to taste
- Soak the chickpeas for at least 12 hours, in a large bowl with water. Change the water at least once during that time.
- Rinse the chickpeas and cook until soft, in a large saucepan with water. It took about 30 minutes in a regular pot for me, with 1/2 tsp baking soda.
- While the chickpeas are cooking, toast the pitas until fully crisp and roast the cashew/pine nuts in a pan.
- Once the chickpeas are almost done, lightly warm the yogurt with the chopped garlic in a small saucepan. Make sure just to warm it and don't cook it too much!
- Filter and split the chickpeas into two small bowls (or one if you're hungry 😉 ), while still hot.
- Break the pitas into small pieces (not too small) and mix with the chickpeas.
- Add some salt and cumin.
- Pour the yogurt into the bowls, add the pinenuts/cashews and a little lemon juice and olive oil.
Have you tried any variations of fetteh? What do you think?