A bit delayed, lots of people mentioned that they’d be interested in learning more about how I made the raw cashew cheese. Though it takes a couple days, it’s really easy! Most of the time you’re just waiting for the cashews to soak and letting the finished product sit to develop flavor, so don’t be intimidated!
Raw Cashew Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews or cashew pieces
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice fresh squeezed is the best
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- Put the cashews in a bowl and cover with enough water to cover the nuts by about two inches. Let soak for 2+ hours and then drain.
- Combine the soaked + drained cashews, water, lemon juice, garlic cloves and sea salt in a food processor and blend. Scrape down the sides and blend again until completely smooth, a couple minutes or more depending on how good your processor is.
- Put your "cheese" in a small bowl or Tupperware and cover it. Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours to let the flavors meld and ferment a bit.
- After 24 hours, it's done!
- Keep the cheese in the refrigerator covered for up to 5 days.
You can sprinkle herbs on the top if you like. To get it to look like my above photo, I just sprinkled smoked paprika, chili pepper flakes and black pepper in a circle on some plastic wrap and then put the cheese on top and wrapped it up into a circle. I think dill or scallions would also be awesome!
I used it to make these lettuce wraps with avocado and sprouts. Mmmm!
Have you made any other types of raw vegan cheeses? Do you like to mix other things inside? How else do you serve it?