I’ve always had an interest in raw foodism and like the idea of adding more raw fruits and veggies into my diet. While these are not as rich as their cooked and sugar-laden counterparts, they were tasty and made a great snack. Plus, they’re pretty easy to whip up if you own a food processor and I didn’t feel so guilty eating half of the batch in one sitting, one huge benefit!
Oh, and if you have no idea what I mean by raw, feel free to peruse this Living Foods FAQ for information. I’m not a raw foodist, but I have a couple raw cookbooks and I think it’s pretty interesting. Not to mention a challenge and a different way of cooking/eating, so I like to take this challenge on every now and again like with these tasty brownies.
Raw Cranberry Vanilla Vegan Brownies
After some experimenting, here is my perfect raw vegan brownie with dates, pecans, cocoa and walnuts as the main ingredients.
- 1/3 cup dried dates plus 2 more dates
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup walnut pieces
- 1/3 cup raw pecans
- 2 1/2 tablespoons agave nectar I used dark this time and liked it better
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- Put everything in food processor.
- Chop that shit up.
- Press into an appropriate container.
- Freeze for an hour.
- Put in fridge and then eat all of them at your leisure.
- I liked this variation better than my first batch without the cranberries et al, though if the tangy taste of cranberries in your brownies freaks you out go with the recipe below.
Plain variety in case cranberries freak you out:
Raw Vegan Brownies
-1/2 cup dried dates
– 1/2 cups dried cherries
– 1/3 cup cocoa powder (the original recipe called for 1/4 cup, but I like things chocolatey)
– 1 cup unroasted, unsalted walnuts
– 2 tablespoons agave nectar (or honey, if you eat it)
I would like one. Let’s make more????
Please and thank you. 🙂
Provide me with some dried fruits and I’m all about it. For some reason finding dried dates at the Co-op was a mission. This is my second batch it three days, nomnomnom.
I think I might make this for Christmas. This is about as easy as it gets.
Yeah, it was definitely super easy. It made my food processor a bit unhappy, so I had to keep pulsing and then opening it and stirring so everything got combined evenly, but even that wasn’t a huge deal (and probably wouldn’t be a deal at all if you have a nicer food processor than me). I definitely recommend the cranberry-vanilla version I posted, my Mom ate half of it while I was sleeping last night. Haha.
Very scrumptious!! I did have some trouble mixing it up though. I only have a blender and it got stuck too much so it was hard work. But really yummy considering all the healthy ingredients 🙂 One bad thing about it though…it doesn’t make enough!!! I want more!!
@Anonymous 5:11PM – Thanks for the comment! It is quite hard to mix. One day I will get a fancy-schmancy blender for this reason. One day.