This is more of a tip than a recipe, get ready! So whenever I bake bread there are always the sad, mutilated pieces unfit for sandwiches that always happen because I use a bread knife that’s cheap and not sharp enough. I then put all the mutilated pieces on a plate thinking I’ll just eat reallytiny toasts for breakfast…and then they sit there a few days until their days as toast are no longer. Oops.
Today I didn’t waste those toast failures! Soup was up! I simply repurposed the stale toast into delicious croutons! A way to impress guests who won’t realize you’re simply trying to use up your old nasty stale bread!
Stale Bread? Nahhh. Croutons!
- bread whatever type you have
- olive oil
- garlic or garlic powder
- Italian seasoning optional
- Chop your bread into manageable cube sizes.
- Pour a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan along with a few good shakes of salt, garlic and/or garlic powder (depends how lazy you are, I was lazy this morning) and Italian seasoning (optional).
- Throw in the bread cubes and toss until coated.
- Saute over medium heat until browned and crunchy, but don't burn them!
- Toss over salads, soup, etc. Delicious!
Feel free to experiments with the type of oil and seasonings and let me know what you come up with!