This is a really easy recipe that I stole from my friend Lizzi. Seriously, every time I make it and take it somewhere everyone freaks out over it. It’s actually kind of silly because it’s one of the easiest things I’ve made. People never believe it is vegan either, which is also silly because it is SALSA for crying out loud. Oh well, if they like it, they like it. I know the sweet potato sounds weird and trust me, I usually don’t even like sweet potato, but this works really well and it never lasts more than a day…or a sitting.
I make this recipe many times every year. Great to bring to a picnic or potluck, easy and delicious.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into chunks and boiled
- 1 big onion, whichever type you prefer, diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped really small without any big stems
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Approx. 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt, pepper and garlic, to taste
- Lime juice (optional, will preserve it in the fridge longer)
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into a few pieces so they cook faster.
- Boil some water and drop 'em in there.
- Cook until they're not crunchy and you would want to actually eat them, but not so much that they're pure mush. You can check on them by stabbing them with a fork in the pot.
- When they're done, rinse them to cool them off and then cut them up into small squares. You want a size that you could realistically pick up with a tortilla chip, if you get my drift.
- Cut up all the other veggies and put everything into a bowl.
- Add the cilantro, salt, pepper, a bit of lime juice and olive oil to your liking. Try a little bit, stir, taste and then see if you want more so you don't overdo it.
- Serve with tortilla or pita chips and enjoy.
I’ve also made quesadillas with this as a filling and they were yummy. My cousin’s girlfriend suggested making a layer dip with mashed sweet potato on the bottom, black beans, tomatoes and onions next, etc. I’ve never done it, but it seems like a good idea and I think it would be quite aesthetically pleasing.