Vegan MoFo Day #21 – Vegan Chicken Salad
So I thought I was done with MoFo for the year, but then I sort of accidentally made vegan chicken salad and voila! I was in Whole Paychecks, I mean, Whole Foods yesterday because I heard Tofurkeys were on super sale after Thanksgiving. They were on sale, but still more expensive than the Tofurkeys at Trader Joe’s so I passed on that. As I was walking past the prepared foods section, I had to tear myself away from the vegan chicken salad, which I love. With that in mind this morning, a plan was born as soon as I spotted the sad remains in my Vegenaise container.
I found Vegenaise I left at my parents’ this summer during Thanksgiving, but there was less than 2 tablespoons in it. Rather than go through the trouble of scraping that out, I just threw everything in the jar and shook it up! The only thing I had to wash was my cutting board and my knife. Win! Make this recipe when you have some leftover seitan and the dredges of Vegenaise left on the bottom of the jar.
Vegan "Chicken" (Seitan) Salad
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups prepared and chopped seitan
- 1-2 Tbsp. Vegenaise
- 1/2 small onion chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons worth shredded carrot
- 2-3 tablespoons worth chopped cabbage
- 1/2 tsp. celery seed
- splash apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. agave maple syrup or similar, something sweet!
- Chop your seitan into small pieces and then squeeze handfuls of it at a time over the sink to get out as much liquid as you can. This allows the seitan to absorb the new flavors you're tossing it with!
- Put the seitan and all other ingredients in the Vegenaise jar, close, and shake it all up!
- Pop in the fridge to marinate for at least 25 minutes.
This is best for seitan leftovers since it only uses a cup, but I used the seitan recipe from Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook, which I liked a lot.
I had mine on a wrap and it was super tasty.
The vegetables I used are not mandatory, obviously, they were just in my fridge. I think this would be great with some celery if you have it on hand!