Over the summer in Berlin, someone organized these wonderful vegan BBQs in the park that lasted all day and were filled with tons of food, hula hooping, music, dancing, yoga, slack-lining, cute dogs and new friends. Someone brought this every time and I LOVED it.
Eventually I finally got my hands on the recipe online, which comes from the German vegan cookbook Vegan kochen für alle by Björn Moschinski. I can not take credit for the recipe, but I have translated it here for my non-German readers, as I’ve never seen noodles used as the secret ingredient in any English-language recipes and I think it works quite well!
For this recipe you will make some of your own mayo, but don’t freak out! It’s really easy and you probably already have the ingredients laying around!
Vegan Egg Salad: Secret Ingredient = Noodles (Yes, really!)
- 1 can 150-170 grams cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup 50 ish grams spiral noodles
- 1/3 cup vegan mayo see recipe below
- 1 pinch turmeric
- salt and pepper to taste
Homemade Vegan Mayo
- 1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp. 100 ml soymilk
- 1 cup + 1 Tbsp. Sunflower or Canola oil
- 1 Tbsp. mustard of choice
- 2 tsp. lemon juice or rice vinegar
- pepper to taste
- Start the water boiling for the noodles, then prepare the mayo.
- Add the soymilk together with the mustard, pepper and lemon juice or rice vinegar to the blender and blend on the highest setting. Hopefully you have one of those blenders with a thing at the top you can take out. If so, once combined, take out the little thing at the top so you can pour something into the blender while it's moving.
- Pour the oil in a steady stream slowly into the blender while it's going. As you do that, the mixture should thicken (magic!). Keep blending until it's thick enough for you. It's important you do it in this order (soymilk and everything and the oil last, or it won't thicken!). Pour into a container and set aside.
- Now for the egg-salad! Cook the noodles and let cool.
- Add the chickpeas and puree together with the turmeric in the food processor (maybe this would also work in the blender?).
- Pour out into a bowl and then put the noodles in the food processor and process until they're just small bits.
- Add the noodles to the bowl with the chickpea mixture, then add in the vegan mayo and mix with salt, pepper and the chives.
Store the rest in the fridge, enjoy in a sandwich, wrap, on top of a salad or all alone! Mmm! I’m not usually excited about vegan egg salad, but I love this one! Here’s a close-up: