Why not just go ahead and have coffee in your muffin too?
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time22 mins
Total Time32 mins
- 1 cup + 4 tbsp. non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons ground coffee on the finest setting possible, it should be powder
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup oatmeal or rolled oats
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar can use regular if needed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 scant tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4-1/3 cup applesauce
- 2-3 big handfuls chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 375F.
Grease a muffin tin with margarine and set aside.
If using rolled oats, pulse them a few times in the food processor. If using oatmeal or porridge oats, you can skip this step.
Mix the very finely ground coffee with 1/2 cup of the soymilk and stir until absorbed. I put this entire mixture in the food processor and whizz for a minute to make sure it is really combined.
Add the other 1/2 cup soymilk and the apple cider vinegar and give a quick stir to combine (or a quick pulse, if using the food processor). Set aside.
In a large bowl combine the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon.
Make a well in the center and pour in the soymilk/coffee/vinegar mixture, oil, vanilla, applesauce, and the last 4 tablespoons of soymilk.
Stir until just combined and then fold in the chocolate chips. The batter should be thick, but not runny.
Pour into greased muffin tin (I pretty much filled it up to the top, but you could make more smaller muffins if desired)
Cook for 22-26 minutes.