Mock Chickpea Tuna Salad
Super easy take at veganizing a tuna melt. Vegan chickpea tuna salad for a tasty sandwich filling, wrap, salad topping, etc.
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 4-5 stalks of celery chopped (more if you really like celery like me)
- 1 small carrot chopped (optional, I needed to use it up)
- 1/2 medium or 1 small red onion chopped (optional, I ran out of onions)
- 4 tablespoons vegan mayo
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 heaping teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kelp granules optional, makes it taste more fishy
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish I just chopped up half a pickle really small
- 2-3 scallions chopped (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
Place all ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
Mash with a potato masher, your fists, a fork, whatever.
I let mine sit in the refrigerator for about an hour to let the flavors mesh, but you don't have to do this. Mostly I was just waiting for the rest of my dinner to be ready.
Eat on a bagel or piece of toasted bread, cover with a slice of vegan cheese (I recommend Tofutti American Cheese Slices) and you have a delicious tuna melt or just eat it plain! Yummm.