The Ultimate Comfort Food: Vegan Mac-n-Cheese
The ultimate comfort food and my most asked-for recipe, vegan mac and cheese!
- 1/2 - 3/4 pound pasta I usually just fill the baking tray I'm using halfway with pasta and use that amount
- 1/2 110ml soymilk
- 1/4 60 ml cup water
- 1/4 60 ml soy sauce
- 1 cup 240 ml nutritional yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cloves garlic minced (or 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 3 tablespoons margarine like Earth Balance
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 carrots shredded (optional)
- 1 medium onion diced small (optional)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas optional
- 3/4 cup frozen chopped green beans optional
- enough french fried onions to cover top of mac-n-cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
Boil water in a medium-sized sauce pan and cook pasta (I like to use shells for this dish).
While pasta is cooking, chop the veggies you want and combine everything but the french fried onions in a large bowl and mix together. Try and break up the margarine chunks as much as you can, but they'll just melt in the oven when it's cooking so it doesn't need to be perfect. You can put the veggies in frozen, they'll cook in the oven too.
Once the pasta's done, drain and add to the "cheese" sauce.
Stir until all the pasta is covered and then pour into a baking dish and top with the french fried onions.
Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes until onions are browned and top of the pasta looks crispy.
Eat and enjoy!